Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Open House
- Other: Drawing Contest / Video Interviews
- Elementary school students (1-5)
- High school students (9-12)
- K-12 Teachers
- Middle school students (6-8)
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
1. Online Virtual Open House: We hosted a 1.5 hour virtual open house consisting of an overview of neuroscience, interactive activities such as optical illusions and brain trivia, and a Q & A panel. Educational materials, including contemporary neuroscience books were also sent to participating classrooms. 2. Short video interviews were conducted with neuroscientists with a focus on each neuroscientists' current research and career pathway. 3. A neuroscience drawing contest was held for precollege, college and the general public.
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
- Social Media
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- Puzzles: Grades K-2
- Puzzles: Grades 3-5
- Puzzles: Grades 6-8
- Puzzles: Grades 9-12
- Lesson Plans Grades K-5
- Lesson Plans Grades 6-8
- Lesson Plans Grades 9-12
What other downloadable materials would you like the Foundation to provide?
- New Fact Sheets
- New Lesson Plans
- New Puzzles/Games
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- Brain Awareness Week Logos
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
The virtual nature of the program allowed people outside our local area to participate. Many teachers welcomed the online program because the COVID-19 pandemic prevented them and their students from attending any in-person events.
Please share any suggestions or lessons learned that may help others plan future events:
The online program should be divided into at least two separate sessions: one for young students and one for older students.
Did/do you like our Facebook page?