Number of Events Organized During Brain Awareness Week:
Type of Events Held:
- Brain Fair
- Lab Tour
- Radio Show
- Social Media Campaign
- General Public
- Middle school students (6-8)
- University students
Approximate Number of People Reached:
Details of Major Brain Awareness Week Events/Activities:
The theme “Mental health and Neurological disorders” was addressed via public lecture, a workshop, Neuro Lab Tour, and Quiz. The BAW Project is geared towards creating a platform to create awareness about the brain, mental health, and neurological disorders.
The facilitators of these events are members of the Neuroscience Research Group Anatomy department Edo State University Uzairue Nigeria:- Dr. A. E Memudu (BAW co-ordinator), Dr. Anna Idaguko, Mr. Augustine Oviosu, Mrs. Esther Mayaki, Ms. Itohan Osahon, Ms. Jemima Chukwu, and Mr. bright Iheancho.
- A Neuro talk on radio to create awareness on brain awareness week, careers in neuroscience, Mental health, and Neurological disorders addressed by Dr A.E Memudu, Mr. A. Oviosun, and Dr. Anna Idaguko.
- A public lecture entitled “Brain Awareness week: Significance for Edo State University Community, this topic was addressed by Dr. A.E Memudu.
The 27th BAW anniversary cake was cut by dignitaries and some participants in attendance.
- Another public lecture entitled “Neurological disorders” by Dr. A.E Memudu and “Animal Model of Neurological disorders in Neuroscience research” was given by Mr. Augustine Oviosun.
- An Online/hybrid public lecture featuring Prof. I. Amadi talk on brain Wellness Initiative and Careers in Neurosciences and Prof. Anthony Nwaopara’s talk on Mental health.
- This online event was well attended by the VC, Edo state University Prof Emmauel Aluyor who give an Opening remark, and other senior academic staff of the University.
- The Neurolab Tour in Anatomy Department to appreciate the anatomy of brain sections.
At the end of the event certificates of attendance were given to all participants and a survey form for feedback on the BAW impact on attendees
Event Planning & Publicity
Publicity Methods Used:
- Social Media
Which of These Publicity Methods Was The Most Successful?
What downloadable materials from the Foundation did you use for your events?
- Certificate of Participation
- Puzzles: BAW Favorites
- Puzzles: Successful Aging & Your Brain
- Adults' Fact Sheets
What other downloadable materials would you like the Foundation to provide?
- New Fact Sheets
Which BAW graphic materials did you use in publicizing your events?
- Brain Awareness Week Logos
- Brain Awareness Week Facebook Cover Image
- Brain Awareness Week Editable Flyer
Feedback & Keys to Success
How do you feel BAW participation benefited your organization and the local community?
It has created awareness for the University on her role in brain awareness programme and advancement such as Neurolaw for people in the law profession, neuroscience advocacies, and engagements. Encouraged people on the importance of neuroscience policies and outreach. Some students participants are interested in neuroscience research and engagements
Please share any suggestions or lessons learned that may help others plan future events:
create awareness early
work with a budget
prepare the theme