What is Brain Awareness Week?
Brain Awareness Week is the global campaign to foster public enthusiasm and support for brain science. Every March, participants host imaginative activities in their communities that share the wonders of the brain, and the impact brain science has on our everyday lives.
Event organizers include colleges and universities, hospitals, medical research facilities, K-12 schools, advocacy groups, outreach organizations, professional associations, government agencies, corporations, and more.
The next Brain Awareness Week is March 13-19, 2023. The Dana Foundation invites your organization to get involved!
Brain Awareness Week provides a wonderful opportunity to place your work in the public spotlight. By participating in the campaign, you can:
- Advance your mission within the broader context of a global education initiative.
- Spread the word about the importance of brain science and its critical role in helping people lead healthier, more productive lives.
- Equip the public with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions about their health.
- Insure a future for neuroscientific discovery by inspiring the next generation of scientists.
What types of events are held?
Brain Awareness Week events are limited only by the organizers’ imaginations! Popular formats include lectures, symposia, and panel discussions; lab tours and open houses at neuroscience laboratories; brain fairs with hands-on activities, games, and experiments; programs at K-12 schools; museum exhibitions about the brain; displays at malls, libraries, and community centers; art and literature competitions; concerts and theatrical performances; and social media campaigns.
The Dana Foundation provides event organizers with free resources to support their Brain Awareness Week outreach efforts. These include:
- Event ideas and planning advice.
- Outreach tools to help grow your audience.
- Funding through two grants programs serving different regions of the world.
- The Calendar of Events to publicize your activities.
- Free handouts to distribute.
- Official Brain Awareness Week logos to include on your promotional materials.